In today’s world, the color and stamp of your passport holds so much intrinsic value that it may open many doors or close many doors for you. In such a scenario, Citizenships.com is here to aid you with the Citizenship by investment Malta program. The beautiful, peace-loving island nation of Malta is located in between Europe and North Africa, and has a massively powerful passport that is ranked overall number 4 on the World Passport Index 2019. The passport of Malta offers visa-free access to 124 countries, and the benefit of “ visa on arrival” for 41 countries. Citizenship by investment is an idea that may change your life – forever! Since 2014, many savvy individuals across the world have chosen the wondrous and yet easy path of applying for Maltese citizenship through our help and guidance.
The special Malta Citizenship by investment program was actually launched in 2014 and has picked up pace in the last few years or so. The Investment Program for Citizenship to Malta requires the applicants to have sufficient funds, a clean police record and be willing to purchase real estate in Malta.
As per the laws of the Republic of Malta, any individual can apply for Citizenship by investment program in Malta. This citizenship is available as a dual citizenship offer to individuals and their families and can even be passed down the generations.
Why Malta Citizenship?
The Maltese passport is amongst the most powerful in the world and ranks higher than even a US passport. It is highly respected by the European Commission and holders of Maltese Citizenship can freely travel, work and study in EU nations and Switzerland. The popularity of this passport is such that there is a huge waiting to receive Maltese Citizenship and the easiest way to get there is through a Malta Citizenship by investment program.
An idea about the life in the island of Malta can be gathered by the fact that it is rated among the top 50 nations on the Happiness Index and with low crime rates, a steady economy, peaceful social life, good climate, and a thriving tourism industry. These reasons make it without a doubt a much sought after country for Citizenship. The government of Malta is favorable towards Citizenship by investment as it is a win-win for both the individual and the nation. It even allows citizens by investment to partake in the political process and vote if they have stayed in the country for more than 6 months.
Business Opportunities in Malta
As a full member of the European Union, Malta Passport holders can freely travel across Switzerland and Europe without any border control and can live, work or conduct their business there. It is a respected and highly prestigious passport, opening a gateway to many opportunities.
There are innumerable business opportunities in Malta especially in the thriving tourism industry, hospitality, and communications sectors. With very little or no taxes, the entire profit is for keeps and makes Malta one of the richest island nations of the world.
Malta is an economically secure nation, with the nation’s banks having assets worth more than seven times the country’s GDP, making it the second largest banking sector in the European Union. Malta has a credit rating of BBB+ and was not much affected by the global recession. Its economy is definitely more secure than most other nations. It offers a steady growth rate for most businesses.
Benefits of Malta Citizenship
Apart from the wondrous economy, there are other malta citizenship benefits, such as those stated below.
The key benefits of seeking a second citizenship to Malta are many, a few important ones among them are as follows:
- Visa-free travel to 124 countries and visa on arrival in 41 countries.
- A full and lifetime citizenship to the European Union (EU) with a right to set up an establishment in any of the 28 countries of EU and Switzerland.
- Fourth most powerful passport in the world, ranked even higher than the US passport.
- Free and easy access to European countries and the US.
- No Maltese language tests required.
- No military service required.
- No need to live permanently in Malta, just a few visits are enough.
- Accepts dual citizenship and hence, no need to leave your primary nation and its passport.
- Hassle free and quick citizenship approval process.
- The maximum approval time taken is 3-4 months, while the whole procedure can be completed in 1 year.
- Entire family can be covered under one single application, with the family including spouse, children and other dependents like parents.
- Citizenship can be handed down to the next generation of the immediate family.
- European lifestyle in a peaceful and stable country.
- Once citizenship is granted, no need to pay any inheritance tax, estate duty, wealth tax, municipality taxes or any type of real estate taxes.
Malta Citizenship By Investment Requirements
The three- stage process to gaining Citizenship by investment in Malta is simple.
- Stage 1: Submit all the required documents, duly notarized, as required for the malta citizenship application process, which will then be verified by Malta officials.
- Stage 2: Complete the due-diligence process of verifications carried out by Malta officials, including background checks
- Stage 3: After the documents are verified and due diligence is completed, typically 3-4 months after the initial application, the financial contributions will be required. The contributions need to be made to Malta’s National Development for Social Fund, government approved stocks and bonds, and in local property.
Buy Malta Citizenship by investment program has one of the world’s most stringent standards of checking and provides citizenship to only the most reputed and moneyed people around the world. The due diligence verification process has to be cleared by the applicant along with a detailed background check report and checking of the sources of all the wealth of the applicant. At any point in the process, if anything is found to be illegal, the process of acquiring the citizenship would be terminated.
- The main applicant must be an adult and over 18 years of age.
- The Maltese Government will conduct INTERPOL checks and other local police verifications to ensure that the applicant has no criminal background
- The applicant or his dependants should not be suffering from any contagious or chronic disease of any kind.
The Citizenship by Investment program involves making 3 main investments.
1. Contribution to the Malta National Development and Social Fund
The first and foremost requirement is to calculate the non-refundable donation required to be made to the NDF or National Development and Social Fund, which is run by a board of Trustees of the Government of Malta. The money thus collected is used to create jobs and improve the infrastructure in the country. It is quite similar to a Central Bank’s fund in any country and this amount is to be paid within 4 months of the issue of an Approval Letter in Principle for the citizenship program.
The cost of the investment is usually around €650,000 or $730,000 with an additional charge of €25,000 or $28,113 for spouse and each minor child. For a physically or mentally challenged child or adult the donation required is about €50,000 ($56,227)and the same amount for an adult, unmarried child between the ages of 18 – 26 years.
2. Investment in Bonds
Although the NDF contribution is the mainstay of the Citizenship by investment program, the Maltese government has also included in it some general investments in government approved shares and bonds for a minimum period of 5 years. The amount to be invested in government bonds is around €150,000 ($168,682). These stocks and bonds should be invested in companies listed on the Malta National Stock exchange and being stated as those “beneficial to the State of Malta” for its development.
3. Investment in Real Estate
When applying for the Maltese passport for Citizenship one needs to make a real estate investment as well. The Malta Passport by investment process is simple and straightforward and after investment in the government fund, and bonds, the candidate is required to invest in real estate as well to gain Maltese Citizenship by Investment. This investment has to be made in the local real estate market in Malta without subletting or letting the property.
Such an investment can be made either by purchasing a property worth minimum €350,000 ($393,592) or renting a property for not less than €16,000 ($17,992) per month for a minimum period of 5 years duration. The applicable government processing fees and registration fees of the property is around 12-15 % for renting and 9-12 % for outright purchasing.
Investment in a property seems to be the right option as it can be used as a second home or sold after a minimum period of 5 years.
The Maltese government gives around 4 months to purchase a property or rent out a suitable one after receiving the Approval Letter in Principle for Maltese Citizenship program. This step is very important as the residence purchased or rented will be used as the address for passport issuance and will show the genuine link of the applicant with the Republicof Malta. Possession of real estate and immovable property in Malta is compulsory but staying in Malta is not. One only needs to visit on and off to retain Citizenship of Malta.
After making the real estate investments, candidates for Citizenship by investment will be issued an eResidence Malta identity card which will then be used to make a citizen’s passport for Malta.
Some additional expenses in the form of processing fees and due diligence fees is also to be paid to the government of Malta. These additional expenses would amount to 8-10,000 USD for documentation, passport issuance and granting of Citizenship to Malta by Investment program.
Important Documents required for the Malta Permanent Residency
- Birth certificate of the applicant, spouse and all the dependants
- Health certificate from a registered medical practitioner
- Global Health insurance with benefits of at least €50,000 ($56,227)
- Marriage certificate (in English)
- Personal details including family information, education, and employment
- Utility bills and proof of current residence
- Bank statements showing proof of source of income
- Tax statements from the country of origin
- References from lawyers and bankers
- Police clearance certificates from all the countries lived in the last 10 years, including FBI clearance for residents of the U.S.
Residency Requirements for Citizenship to Malta by Investment
To initiate the Citizenship process for Malta, an initial residency period of 12 months is required. The overall process for the Passport to Malta requires an initial deposit of €5,000 ($5,622) for the main applicant and €1,000 ($1,124) for each dependent member of the family who have applied for citizenship.
The process of initiating the Citizenship begins with the submission of the supporting documents, police verifications and the initial investment, and ends with the successful members undertaking a visit to Malta and taking the Oath of Allegiance to Malta, before finally being given its Citizenship.
Availability of Citizenships
At the time of the launch of the Malta Citizenship Program, the Maltese Government had limited the number to 1400 successful candidates in a year but now the number is unlimited and is based on the discretion of the Maltese government. Although, every year very few privileged people qualify for this as the screening process is very stringent and the government investment required is also considerable. Apart from this, the process is simple and within 7-9 months complete Citizenship to Malta can easily be gained.
Maltese government allows individuals to keep their primary citizenship while taking the Maltese Citizenship and due to this dual citizenship advantage, most individuals can avail the benefits of both the nations. The only contention to verify is whether the primary nation allows dual citizenship as well.
Benefits for Descendents
Once a candidate receives Maltese citizenship, any child born will also be Maltese citizenship, even if citizenship was originally acquired by means of investment. The legacy can be passed down further, as when the children grow up, their children too will have Maltese citizenship and European Union passports.
The Maltese passport is extremely beneficial for young adults and students as it allows them to travel and study abroad especially in Europe without having to apply as international students as their Maltese passport is also an EU passport. As a result, their admission requirements became the same as those who are citizens of the EU with lower tuition fees offered to all Europeans.
Conditions That Might Risk Revoking The Maltese Citizenship
The Maltese government does have some conditions laid down that might lead to revoking of the Maltese citizenship , and these are stated as below:
- In case the applicant, at any point of time is found to have lied or misrepresented the facts, provided false information or concealed any information to gain citizenship, then in that case his/her citizenship might be revoked.
- Any kind of imprisonment in another country for more than 12 months will lead to revoking of the Maltese citizenship.
- If the candidate is found to be engaged in pedophilia, defilement of minors or involved in abduction, kidnapping, rape, prostitution, violent indecent assault, etc., the citizenship may be revoked at any time.
- If the applicant poses a national threat to the sovereignty and integrity of Malta, his/her citizenship may be invoked at any time.
- If the candidate is involved in any activity that may bring disrepute to Malta, the citizenship may be revoked.
So, if you are the one who wants to change your life and live the life of your dreams in a peaceful, wealthy island nation along with a passport that gives you the freedom to travel across the world, then this Citizenship by investment in Malta program is definitely for you. The Malta Citizenship program is a boon for esteemed individuals with enough money to get a citizenship in one of the most sought after nations of the world with great economy, wonderful climate and a stable social environment. The influence of the Maltese passport can be seen by the fact that it is overall fourth most powerful passport in the world and allows for dual citizenship, which means one does not have to leave the primary citizenship of the nation they belong to. Apart from this, it is a respected member of the European Union giving free trade pass across Europe, allowing the holder of this passport to travel, work and study in countries across Europe without any hassle.
The taxation system of Malta too is unique and allows an individual to amass a good fortune through trade and tourism. For further enquiry and easy processing of Citizenship by investment in Europe, contact Citizenships.com at the earliest. Remember, nothing is more expensive than a missed opportunity, so let not this wonderful opportunity pass out of your hands and opt for second citizenship planning.